Open Monday to Friday
12:30 to 5:30 pm
Anita Nachtigal, Library Director
PO Box 64; 304 Main Avenue; Platte, SD 57369
Phone: (605) 337-9869
Platte Public Library was founded in 1938 by the Platte Women’s Club with a collection of 1,000 books. In 2002 the library relocated into the remodeled community center located on Main Street. We now have more than 10,000 hardcover and paperbacks in the stacks. The library has a children’s reading corner made cozy with a kids’ table and beanbags. In the front of the library we have a table available for reading and writing. A large room in the back is available for meetings and group events.
Other things you can find at the library include:
- eBooks–available through South Dakota Titles To Go; sign up at the Platte Public Library and a one-year membership is $5 per patron
- Audiobooks on CD
- Large print books
- Braille and Talking Book Program for those with special vision needs
- Computers with Internet
- Test proctoring
- A computer printer, scanner, and copier
- Free access to South Dakota State Library databases
- Most of the databases can be accessed from your computer at home except for the AncestryLibrary and CAMIO, which is a digital museum and arts collection
- For those databases that require a password, you will need a free ECard that you can sign up for at the SDSL ECard page
- Archive Grid
- Argus Leader (The Sioux Falls Index 1982-2003)
- Deadwood Historical Newspapers Index 1876-1905
- EBSCOhost and eBooks on EBSCOhost
- Energy Citations (1948+)
- ERIC (Educational Resources Information Center 1966+)
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- HighWire Press (Stanford University)
- Indian Country Today Index (1996-2003)
- InfoTrac (Discovering Collection grades 6-12; InfoTrac Junior Edition Middle School; Junior Reference Collection; Kids InfoBits grades K-5; Professional Collection; and InfoTrac Student Edition High School)
- Kids Catalog (SDLN)
- Learning Express Library
- Sanborn Maps
- SIRS Discoverer (grades K-9)
- SIRS Issues Researcher (grades 6-12)
- South Dakota Library Network Library Catalog
- South Dakota Newspaper Association/SDLA Public & Legal Notices
- Teacher Reference Center
- World Book (Info Finder grades 5-9; Reference Center grades 9-Adult; World Book Advanced grades 9-Adult; World Book Discoverer; World Book Kids grades K-5; World Book Students grades 5-9)
The Sewcial Club meets monthly on the first Monday at 10:00 am to showcase their handcrafted works. The public is encouraged to attend the show-and-tell portion of the event, which is held at 1:30 pm following the regularly scheduled meeting.
The Heritage Club of Platte meets on the 2nd Monday of each month at 10:00 am; no meeting in December. Contact club President Marti Bobertz to find out information concerning obituaries, local histories, and family records.
Storytime: Children ages birth to 5 meet on the last Thursday of every month at 10:30 am for an hour of reading and crafts. Parents are encouraged to bring their little ones to this entertaining morning of storytelling and group activities.
Each summer the library hosts a Summer Reading Program for children in kindergarten through 6th grade.