This is a short but sweet video giving the play-by-play of checking out eBooks when using your Kindle.
Here’s a thorough tutorial for getting the OverDrive program started on your Kindle Fire.
Here is a video created by WellesleyFreeLibrary that explains how to use OverDrive for your iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.
As we prepare for our first OverDrive Open House, I’ve come across some great YouTube videos about how to download eBooks and audiobooks onto eReaders and devices.
The first one I’ve found is an excellent video explaining step-by-step how to set up OverDrive on your Nook. The information needed to get OverDrive on your Nook is provided within the first 4 minutes of the video. The remainder of the video is more applicable to the creator of the video’s library, so keep that in mind as you watch it.
The Platte Public Library now has Wi-Fi. Whoopie!
South Dakota State Library coordinated with OverDrive–an online lending library–to develop the program South Dakota Titles To Go. Platte Public Library joined the program in February 2012. Since then more than 70 families and individuals have registered with South Dakota Titles To Go here at the library!
So many devices, gadgets and tablets on the market today!
Which ones work for South Dakota Titles To Go?
OverDrive Open House
Beginning in August, the Platte Public Library will host a monthly OverDrive Open House, where patrons can come in, bring their devices, and ask questions about using the program. We have learned that there are so many different devices (see the end of this post for a listing) that can be used for the eReader program that many people are unsure of how to get started or they have questions pertaining to their specific device.
Come see the librarians at the monthly OverDrive Open House to ask questions about the program and to help get your devices set up! We will keep you posted with the exact date and time; information will also be listed in the Platte Enterprise and on our Platte Public Library Facebook page.
If you are interested in getting your eReader card, here are some tips:
- At South Dakota Titles To Go, you can check out thousands of titles that include eBooks, audiobooks, music and videos.
- A yearly membership is $5. Visit the Platte Public Library to enroll in the eReader program. You will receive a laminated card with your patron number; activation for your card number typically takes place at the time of enrollment.
- To check out titles through South Dakota Titles To Go, you will need an eReader device, computer or mobile device. See the list at the bottom of this post of applicable gadgets. You will also need to have Internet service to go online to check out books.
- An email address: Any time you place a hold on an eBook or audiobook, you will receive an email message alerting you when the book is available. You will have 3 days to check out a title that was on hold.
- You can check out up to 3 titles at a time. For music and videos, the lending period is 3 days. You can check out eBooks and audiobooks for 7, 14 or 21 days. Once your title has reached the end of the lending period it will be removed from your device. If you have not finished a title, you can recheck it as many times as you wish, depending on the availability of the title.
OverDrive works on most eReader devices including:
- Kindle Keyboard (& 3G)
- Kindle Touch (& 3G)
- Kindle Fire
Barnes and Noble
- NOOK 3G+Wi-Fi
- NOOK Wi-Fi
- Daily Edition
- Pocket Edition
- Touch Edition
Other eBook Readers
- Kobo eReader
- Literati Reader
- NextBook Next2
- Pandigital Novel
- PocketBook Pro 602
- Aluratek LIBRE
Computers (install FREE Adobe Digital Editions from OverDrive to read eBooks using these computers)
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP SP2
- Windows 2000 SP4
- Mac OS X v10.6
- Mac OS X v10.5
- Mac OS X v10.4.10
- BlackBerry (Mobihand & AppWorld)
- iPad, iPhone, & iPod touch (App Store)
- Android (Android Market)
- Windows Phone 7
Other Mobile Devices
- Archos 5 Internet Tablet
- Cruz Reader
- Cruz Tablet
- Motorola Xoom
- Samsung Galaxy Tab
- Sylvania Mini Tablet
- EnTourage eDGe
- ViewSonic gTablet
If you cannot find your device, check the OverDrive Device Resource Center for an even more in-depth listing of applicable devices for the eReader program. For more information or questions please call the Platte Public Library at 605-337-9869, or leave a comment below!